Quintessential doll play - "the creepy doll people"

Dear Diary,

In a much earlier blog, main Vati quoted the famous doll designer Robert Tonner: "If you don't take dolls out of their box, they never have a life." Certainly, Vati has pursued this philosophy. Even when he was seriously collecting dolls, he always had a special doll or two to play with. Now, he plays only with me and I certainly have a life! 

The couple in this video certainly believe in giving their dolls a life - at least in some sense of the term. At the beginning of the video, we wondered what in the world...? But, as the video continued, we suddenly understood what their passion was all about. I have never seen a video which so succinctly shows the actual playing with dolls (not just collecting them) by an adult man and woman. Their home with all the retro kitsch is so much fun, too. You'll have to admit they look like they're having a really fun time.

I loved the lines, "If we're going to be the creepy doll people we're going to own it!" And, sensibly, "We prefer our dolls to be dolls." "Everyone deserves at least one tea party in their life." And, to that I ask, "only one?". Actually, I wish they would invite mein Vati and me to one of their tea parties!

Enjoy the film. In the end, they explain what it's all about. I had to share this with everyone.




From what I can tell, I think all their dolls are Patti Playpal dolls, which came in 36 inches (91 cm), 32 inches (81 cm), Penny, 28 inches (71 cm) Suzy, 24 inches (61 cm) Bonnie, 24 inches (61 cm) Johnny and the 38 inches (97 cm) Peter. A related line, the 38 inches (97 cm) and 42 inches (110 cm) Daddy's Girl dolls, were also released around the same time. These were produced during the late 1950s to early 1960s.

Hans

Popular posts from this blog

Dolls & lizards?

His lordship, lord todd wadley

Leaving New Zealand behind