The new lodger




Dear Diary,

Angelo:  I was sitting and reading when the quiet in the house was shattered by knocking at the front door.  I just about dropped my book!  It was odd because our friends never use that door.  I got up to go to answer the knocking.


When I opened the door, there was a stranger at the door, a doll I have never seen before.  He seemed so frightened; he said that he was lost and homeless.  He looked so pathetic, thin clothes, no coat or hat and no shoes.  It's the middle of winter here and so very cold; I couldn't very well leave him outside so I invited him indoors.  I was curious to know more so I asked him for his name.

"My name is Simon Helbig."

I invited him to come in and get warm.  I thought I'd better call Adam to come and see what's going on.  He is older, after all, and more experienced in the ways of the world.

Adam:  Angelo called for me to come and help.  I went in and found him with a stranger doll.  I decided it would be best if we all sat down so Simon could tell us his story.  This is what he told us.

"Tell us your story, Simon."

"I found myself wandering around this little village; I was cold and lost.  As you know, most dolls have no memory of their previous lives, once they have left their home so I can't tell you anything other than my name.

"Where am I?"

I saw a house and I decided to go to the door and knock.  But, there was no answer.

"Is anyone at home?"

I started walking again and the next building I saw was this church.  It looked safe enough so I screwed-up my courage and went to the front door.  I didn't realise this old church  has been converted into your home.

"I hope someone is here."

I was so surprised when another doll answered the door.

"Can I help you?"

So here I am, homeless and friendless."

Angelo: Both Adam and I liked Simon and we didn't want to put him back out into the cold.  We decided to ask Papa what to do.

Jesse: The boys came to me and told me what had happened.  I agreed to let Simon stay as a lodger until he gets his life sorted.  I reminded Angelo and Adam that they had an obligation to give him a hand, especially since he was dressed in rags.


"My shoes will fit your feet.  Here is a pair for you to wear."


"You'll need some clothes.  These trousers are too big for me but will fit you nicely.  Here is a shirt to wear until we can find some which will fit you better."

"Wow!  You look so different!"

Simon:  I am so relieved to have a home again.  I know I'm not exactly part of the family, but being a lodger and living here sounds like a great idea to me.  Adam and Angelo have been so kind and generous to me.


My newest friends


Happily living in my new home.

Popular posts from this blog

Dolls & lizards?

Leaving New Zealand behind

His lordship, lord todd wadley