Maplelea Footwear

Dear Diary,

Jesse: I have a footwear fixation and I think my boys should have all the latest styles. Angelo has his custom made but it's a different story for Adam.  As anyone who buys the generic footwear for 18" dolls knows, there is no consistency as each manufacturer makes them in different sizes and shapes, not to mention quality.  My biggest complaint is that they are wide and clunky.


Not long ago, Usha, a member of the Carpatina Yahoo Group, recommended that I try the footwear for the Maplelea doll, Canada's own version of the American Girl.  It seemed like a reasonable risk so I purchased these:

Back row L - R: Summit Boots, Silver Streek, Snowdrifters
Front L - R: Skedaddlers, Carpatina loafers for comparison

They each appear to be nicely made and look good.  Unfortunately, almost all their footwear is for girls and can't cross-over for boys.  I thought I'd show these, comparing them to the proper-fitting and proportional Carpatina shoes.

Summit Boots


These have a good style.  Since they are hiking boots, they are supposed to be bigger than the dress shoes. They are easy to put on and take off.

Comparison of the soles.  These have an appropriately shaped hiking boot sole with correct treading.

Silver Streek


These are my least favourite.  I have seen better motorcycle boots.  However, they have a nicely shaped foot and have an opening secured with velcro down the side for easy putting on and taking off.

Comparison of the soles.  Note the well-shaped shoe.  They are a big longer than the Carpatina shoes.

Snowdrifters


These are the proper size for a snow boot.  The strap doesn't fit properly in my opinion.  They are easy to put on and take off.

Comparison of the soles.  Again, the shape of the sole and the treads are appropriate for a snow boot.

Skedaddlers


Gosh, I've not heard that word in yonks!

These casual running shoes are very proportionate to the doll.

Comparison of the soles.  There is little difference between the Maplelea on the left and the Carpatina on the right.
Although the Carpatina shoes are the best in all ways, unfortunately for us boy doll aficionados, they have only 3 on-offer.  I haven't purchased many of the generic 18" doll shoes but of those which I have purchased, some are very good while others are inferior. I'm happy that Usha steered me to the Maplelea shoes and I encourage others who have an Adam doll to look at their website.

Popular posts from this blog

Dolls & lizards?

Leaving New Zealand behind

His lordship, lord todd wadley